First of all, congratulations to all the newly engaged couples! What an exciting time! Here are some of my tips for where to begin as you start to plan your wedding.
1. Agree on a budget. Have a conversation with your significant other about how much money you have saved up for the wedding. Some family members may also gift some money that can help you financially or offer assistance in other ways.
2. Find your venue and set a date. Think about if you'll be married in a place of worship, out on the beach, or somewhere that has significant meaning in your life. Search online first to get some general ideas and check vimeo to watch videos of past weddings at different venues so that you can get a sense of the venue space and design ideas. Pick a few that you want to see in person and inquire more about availability. Note that Saturday weddings are in the highest demand, so they'll cost more than a Friday or Sunday wedding. Also, the summer dates get booked first, sometimes a year or more in advance, so time is of the essence!
3. Gather inspiration and design ideas. What is your vision for the design and style of your event? Do you want a relaxed beach-style vibe or an intimate and elegant soiree? Is there a theme or certain colors that you want to stand out? This will play into your invitations and throughout your wedding design. Find your inspiration in bridal magazines or on Pinterest and share your ideas with your wedding coordinator to ensure that it comes together cohesively.
4. Hire your Vendors. Do not procrastinate! The later you wait, you are going to find that you have limited options. Find your photographer and DJ first, and feel free to interview them and get to know them before you book them. You want to hire someone that you feel comfortable with and who you can trust to do a phenomenal job on your wedding day. You can also ask your friends for recommendations or referrals. Other vendors to think about are wedding coordinators, officiant, florist, baker, a photobooth, and rental companies for other decor items. This is your team that will make your celebration a memorable one!
5. Assemble your Wedding Party! Ask your bridesmaids and groomsmen to be part of your wedding party! They are your closest friends and family and will be your support system. They are there to help you on the wedding day and to help get the party started!